What is Event Bolt Malware in news recently?
The Computer Emergency Response of Team (CERT) of India has issued warning against a new malware called “EventBot”.
The malware according to CERT steals personal financial information from Android phone users.
- The Eventbolt malware that is spreading is a Trojan.
- It cheats victims secretly attacking computer or phone operating system.
- Currently, the malware is capable of targeting more than 200 different financial applications.
- The malware has already looted crypto currency wallets, bank accounts in Europe and US.
- It targets money-transfer services, financial applications.
According to CERT, the malware has currently attacked financial applications such as Paypal, UniCredit, HSBC, Coinbase, TrasnferWise, etc.
- Cert operates under Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- It is the nodal agency in India that deals with hacking, cyber security threats, phishing, etc. CERT represents India at the Shanghai Cooperation Organization MoU signed by India.
- Around 7 countries signed this MoU.
- This includes Australia, Korea, Canada, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, India and Uzbekistan.
- Apart from International measures, CERT has been carrying out several initiatives within India.
- This mainly includes “Cyber Swachhta Kendra”
Cyber Swachhta Kendra
- The Cyber Swachhta Kendra aims to create secure cyber space by detecting botnet infections within the country.
- It is operated by CERT according to the provision in Section 70B of Information Technology Act, 2000.