On June 4, 2020, the Union Cabinet chaired by PM Modi approved the Pharmacopoeia commission. The cabinet has approved to re-establish the commission for Indian Medicine and Homeopathy under Ministry of AYUSH.
- The commission has been set up by merging Pharmacopoeia Laboratory for Indian Medicine and Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia Laboratory.
- The two central laboratories were established at Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh in 1975.
- The commission is an autonomous body that operates under Ministry of AYUSH.
- It is in operation since 2010.
About the merger
- The merger will optimize the use of resources and also enhance outcomes of Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy drugs towards effective quality control.
- After the merger, the commission is to have adequate administrative structure under the ministry.
- Pharmacopoeia means drug making.
- The Government of India has re-established the Pharmacopoeia Commission of Indian Medicine and Homeopathy.
- The commission will help to optimize technical manpower, infrastructural facilities, financial resources.