PMKSY Tamil Nadu topped in micro irrigation coverage in FY 2019-20
Why in News?
Under which program?
- Under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)
- Coverage of 2,06,853.25 ha for the year financial year 2019-20.
What are the other states in top 3?
- Karnataka -1,41,103.56 ha
- Gujarat – 1,08,322.00 ha
States Cumulative total coverage topped by?
- Karnataka- 8,15,690.31 ha
- Andhra Pradesh– 7,17,421.08 ha
- Gujarat- 7,00,858.35 ha
- Tamil Nadu – 5,62,059.11 ha.
Total Micro Irrigation coverage in India?
- 43.71 lakh ha
Reasons for Micro Irrigation increase in Tamil Nadu
- Tamil nadu govt gave additional subsidy to what was provided by the Centre to small and marginal farmers and big farmers through a website “Micro Irrigation Management Information System” (MIMIS).
- They have also removed 12% goods and services tax (GST) on MI components.
- The state has provided options to farmers for the purchase of MI components by identifying 45 firms.
About Pradhan MantriKrishiSinchayeeYojana (PMKSY)
- Launched in 2015
- Aim: Improving on-farm water use efficiency through a number of measures such as Micro irrigation.
- Theme: more crop per drop concept by focussing on water-saving technologies
- Objective: HarKhetkoPani