SunRISE NASA’s New Launch mission to study the Giiant Solar Particle Storms
What is Sun Radio Interferometer Space Experiment (SunRISE)?
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration(NASA) is going to launch its new mission called the Sun Radio Interferometer Space Experiment (SunRISE)
- SunRISE is a very large radio telescope
- SunRISE mission is to study how the sun generates & releases the giant space weather storms(solar particle storms) into planetary space.
Technical information about SunRISE?
- Having 6 CubeSats, where each is about the size of a toaster oven, observes radio images of low-frequency emission from solar activity and shares them through NASA’s Deep Space Network.
- The constellation of CubeSats will fly within 6 miles(9.6kms) of each other above the earth’s atmosphere so as not to block the SunRISE’s observed radio signals.
- The 6 cubeSats together form a 3D map; it shows where the giant particle erupts in the sun form and how they evolve when expanded outward into space.
- It will help decide what initiatives & accelerates these giant jets of radiation.
- For the 1st time 6 individual spacecraft will also work together to pattern the magnetic field lines reaching from the Sun out into interplanetary space.
Important points to remember?
- This helps in protecting the astronauts that travel to the moon & mars by providing better information on how the Sun’s radiation affects the space environment in which they travel.
- Justin Kasper at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor & also managed by NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) led the mission
Source: Click Here