The Government of India is to conduct SWADES initiative to map the skills of Indians returning from abroad. SWADES is Skilled Workers Arrival Database for Employment Support.
- The SWADES initiative has been begun under Vande Bharat Mission.
- The initiative aims to generate database of Indians returning from abroad based on their skill sets and experience.
- The database will then be used to fulfil need of foreign companies and Indian companies.
- The maximum number of Indians returning are mainly from UAE, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Qatar.
- These persons returning were primarily employed in automotive, oil and gas, tourism, aviation, IT, hospitality and IT.
- The initiative is to be conducted by Ministries of Civil Aviation, External Affairs, Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- The returning citizens will need to fill up forms under the programme.
- The form consists of details of job title, work sector, years of experience, etc.
- A toll free facility has also been set up to support citizens for their queries in filling the forms.
- The main aim of the initiative is to provide employment for the Indians returning from abroad.
- The COVID-19 pandemic led to the closing of companies all over the world.
- This made 1000s unemployed.
- Thus, they are returning to India.
Vande Bharat Mission
- The Mission aims at bringing Indians from all over the world.
- Under the mission, the non-scheduled commercial flights will carry people from Singapore, USA and London.
- Currently, the mission is working in bringing around 80,000 Indians from Gulf countries.