The researchers in the University of Hawaii Institute for Astronomy have studied the interplanetary space of the sun called solar corona.
- The charged particles that are radiating from the surface of the sun is called solar wind.
- These particles expand and fill in entire solar system.
- The properties of solar corona are completely dependent on the magnetic field of the sun.
- The magnetic field is produced in the interior and extends outward.
Key Findings of the study
- The Solar Corona can be easily seen during a solar eclipse.
- The magnetic field lines of solar corona were recorded for over 14 eclipses that occurred in 2 decades.
- According to the observations, during the periods of minimum solar activity, the corona field came straight out of the sun near the equator and poles.
- During the maximum solar activity, the magnetic field was radial.
Why is the study big?
- The study has become highly important as so far it was assumed that the coronal magnetic field is radial beyond 2.5 solar radii.
- The study has found that the coronal magnetic field is non-radial to at least 4 solar radii.