An agreement has been signed between China and Pakistan to implement Kohala Hydroelectric Power project in the region of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir.
The project is being implemented under the China Pakistan Economic Corridor.
- Under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, China sets up Kohala Hydropower project in Pakistan occupied Kashmir.
- A tripartite agreement was signed between the Tripartite Gorges Corporation, Private Power and Infrastructure Board and the authorities in PoK in order to implement the project.
About the Project
- The project is to be built on Jhelum river.
- It aims at providing 5 billion units of clean hydro electric power to Pakistan.
- The project will earn carbon credit from the United Nations Framework convention on Climate Change for clean energy.
- India had earlier protested plans of Pakistan to build dam in Gilgit-Baltistan.
- Also, India says that projects in territories of illegal occupation of Pakistan is not appropriate.
- Jhelum is the western most of the river of the five rivers in Punjab.
- It is a tributary of Indus.