Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research Developed Alzheimer Inhibitor
The scientists of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) operating under Department of Science and Technology invented a natural product for Alzheimer disease.
- Alzheimer’s is a disorder that accounts for more than 70% of all types of dementia.
- It is difficult to develop effective medication for the disease as the disease attributes to multifaceted toxicity.
- The Berberine used in traditional medicines has been converted into Ber-D
- Ber-D is antioxidant and soluble
- On the other hand, Berberine is toxic to cells and poorly soluble
- The natural product called Isoquinoline is also used
- Isoquinoline is found in India and China and has been used in traditional medicines
- The Ber-D invented prevents generation of Reactive Oxygen Species
- It rescues biomacromolecules from oxidative damages
- It prevents the accumulation of metal-dependent and independent Amyloid Beta
- Amyloid Beta are the peptides of amino acids that build up around the brain cells
Cause of Alzheimer
- The disease is caused due to abnormal build up of protein around the brain cells
- Proteins are made up of amino acids
- The drug invented prevents deposition of these proteins called Amyloid Beta around the brain cells.
- The medicine invented also helps to prevent DNA damages.