Indina Navy Launched Operation “Samudra Setu”
the Indian Navy on May 5, 2020 launched Operation “Samudra Setu”
- It is to bring back the stranded Indians in Maldives
- They are stranded in the foreign land due to the grounding of airlines
What is the meaning of Samudra Setu?
- It means Sea Bridge
What is the plan?
- After evacuation, these people from Maldives are to be kept in quarantine at Kochi
- The Indian ships Jalashwa and Magar sent to the port of Male, Maldives
- The plan is to bring around 1000 persons during the first trip
- The list of Indians to be evacuated from the Maldives is being prepared by the Indian Mission in the Republic of Maldives.
- INS Jalashwa formerly known USS Trenton
- The USS Trenton was bought from the Unites States in 2006
- The ship renamed as INS Jalashwa after the purchase
- Jalashwa in Sanskrit means “Hippopotamus”
- INS Jalashwa is an amphibious warfare ship
- The INS Jalashwa is to reach Maldives on May 8, 2020
- It is capable of displacing 17,521 tonnes
- INS Magar reach Maldives on May 10, 2020
- It is an amphibious warfare vessel that is capable of displacing 5,750 tonnes
What is an amphibious ship?
- An amphibious warfare ship is an amphibious vehicle warship that is employed to land and support ground forces.
- Importance of Amphibious Assault Ships
- In 2018, the Government of India initiated Rs 20,000 crore project
- Under the project, four amphibious ships are to be built in India
- Each of these ships weigh 30,000 tonnes
- After INS Vikrant, these four ships will be the largest to be built in the country