Govt Quota Allocation Procedure for import of Calcined Pet Coke initiated
- On April 20, 2020
- Govt laid down procedure to allocate quota
- To import calcined pet coke in the financial year 2020-21.
- Govt permitted imports of certain quantity of pet coke in order to use it as fuel in anode making. Earlier import of pet coke was banned
- Import of petcoke was allowed only in lime kiln, cement, gasification and calcium carbide industries.
- Now the Directorate General of Foreign Trade has invited applications for import of pet coke.
- Pet Coke is mainly used in aluminium industry as raw material.
Pet Coke imports
- India is the largest consumer of pet coke in the world. India imports over 27 million tonnes of pet coke from US alone. Pet coke emits over 11% more green house gases than coal.
- Petroleum Coke is called Pet Coke
- It is rich in carbon and is derived during oil refining
- It has more than 80% of carbon.
Source: Economic Times