DRDO Developed UV Blaster Disinfection Tower
Why in News?
- The Defence Research and Development Organization developed Ultra Violet Disinfection Tower for chemical free and rapid disinfection
- The tower is to be highly helpful in high infection prone areas
How this UV Disinfection tower works?
- The UV Disinfection tower can be operated through mobile phone or laptop remotely
- There are six lamps each of 43 watts
- The lamps emit Ultra Violet light of wavelength 254 nm in 360 degrees of illumination
- The tower will switch off during human intervention or accidental opening of the room
- The device also provides arm operation
- The equipment named UV Blaster is a UV based sanitizer that was designed and developed by DRDO
- It is highly helpful for disinfecting high tech surfaces such as computers, electronic equipment and other gadgets
- UV Blaster is helpful in offices where chemical methods may not be suitable
- The product is also very much suitable in areas where chemical methods cannot be implemented.
DRDO and COVID
- The DRDO has been developing several new technologies and products to help in disinfection, sample collection, cost effective personal protective equipment
- Several of these technologies were transferred to private sector companies. Recently DRDO developed ATULYA, a microwave sterilizer to help disinfecting COVID-19
- DRDO had also developed a kiosk for COVID-19 sample collection.