CSIR NMITLI Programme to conduct “hmAbs” trial to neutrialize COVID-19
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) under its New Millennium Indian Technology Leadership Initiative (NMITLI) is to develop human monoclonal antibodies (hmAbs).
These antibodies will neutralise COVID-19 virus in patients.
- The CSIR on one side is fighting hard against COVID-19 through its own researches.
- On the other side, it is also working and supporting industries and public sector units that are coming up with solutions to COVID-19.
- One such initiative is developing “hmAbs”.
About the project
- The project will generate hmAbs from patients that are in convalescent phase.
- Convalescent is patients that are recovering from illness.
- The project also aims to generate hmAbs clones.
- These clones are expected to neutralize mutated virus.
Israel was first
- The monoclonal neutralizing antibodies were first developed by Israel.
- Till now only polyclonal antibodies have been invented.
- Israel was the first to isolate monoclonal antibodies.
What are monoclonal antibodies?
- If the antibodies are recovered from a single recovered cell, they are called monoclonal antibodies.
- On the other hand, if they are recovered from multiple cells, they are called polyclonal antibodies.
- The NMITLI is the largest PPP (Public-private partnership) model of Research and Development programme in the country.
- The main aim of the project is to catalyse innovation and technological developments.
- Previously, fuel cells based on high temperature proton exchange membrane technology was developed under the NMITLI programme.