Why in News?
The IGIB (Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology) operating under CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research) developed a test called “Feluda” to fight against COVID-19
What is Feluda test?
- Feluda test is a detective character name in the stories of film maker Satyajit Ray
How the Feluda test is helpful in fighting COVID-19?
- Here it is a unique feature that it takes only 1 hour to get the results
Significance of the test?
- The test works as the Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR)
What is the process in finding the result?
- It is the extraction of RNA (Ribo Nucleic Acid) and converting into deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA)
- The highly specific FnCAS9 and CRISPR binds to the sequence.
- These binding agents then give positivity or negativity results based on the presence of COVID-19.
What are the advantages of RT-PCR test?
- In RT-PCR tests, primers and probes are used to convert RNA to DNA
- They amplify the presence of viral nucleic acid.
What are the disadvantages of RT-PCR test?
- RT-PCR machines are expensive
Advantages of Feluda test over RT-PCR test?
- Feluda test is cheaper
- Feluda test is feasible