CSIR-Centre for CCMB on Multiple Fronts fighting against COVID-19
Motto: Dedicated to the Nation
- Function: Autonomous, Govt, CSIR
- Year of Establishment: 1977
- Director: Rakesh K. Mishra
- Location : Hyderabad, Telangana, India
- Website: ccmb.res.in
What are the initiatives by CCMB?
- Testing patient samples
- CCMB is an authorized testing centre
- receives patient samples from government hospitals Telangana
2. Training on COVID-19 Testing
- It has also trained 25 medical doctors, technical staff and students
- These trained people have been deployed for the testing activities at their respective hospitals.
- Training videos on best practices for handling patient samples and on RT-PCR.
- These videos are available for authorized centers and can be got by contacting [email protected]
3. Sequencing of the SARS-CoV-2 genome
- CSIR labs are leading the way in genome sequencing of the Corona Virus and
- CCMB is performing Next Generation Sequencing and analysis to map out the whole genome sequence of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
4. Culturing SARS-CoV-2 Virus for Testing Repurposed & New Drugs
- A key tool lacking for the R&D community is the lack of viral cultures to test repurposed drugs, or new drugs or new molecules predicted by various molecular modelling.
- CSIR-CCMB has been engaged in this task and is setting up a system for culturing the SARS-CoV-2 virus in Vero cell line which are permissive for growth of viruses.