On June 3, the National Statistical Office launched the Annual Report of Periodic Labour Force Survey.
- According to the survey, the worker population ratio increased to 35.3% as compared to 34.7% in 2017-18.
- The unemployment rate fell to 5.8% in the period July 2018 to June 2019 as compared to 6.1% in the same period 2017-18.
- The Labour Force participation rate increased to 37.5% as compared to 36.9% in 2017-18.
- The survey has also found that the worker population went up to 35.3% as compared to 34.7% in the year 2017-18.
- In Urban India, the unemployment rate fell to 7.7% in 2018-19 from 7.8% earlier.
- Also, the female participation rate improved in both rural and urban India from 17.5% to 18.6%.
About Periodic Labour Force Supply
- The Survey is the first computer-based survey of India.
- It provides estimates of unemployment indicators such as worker population ratio, labour force participation rate, unemployment rate in rural households, proportion unemployed.
- The main objective of the survey is to estimate employment and unemployment indicators such as Labour Force Participation rate, worker population ratio and unemployment rate.
- The annual report of the survey was released in May 2019 for the year 2017-2018