The National Centre for Polar and Ocean Research has predicted that the Amery Ice Shelf is to expand 24% by 2021. The Ice Shelf would expand another 24% by 2026.
- The NCPOR observations is based on 16 year-long satellite observations.
- This covered 60,000 sq km of the Amery Ice Shelf.
Amery Ice Shelf
- Amery Ice Shelf is located in the east coast of Antarctica.
- It is one of the largest ice shelf in the world.
- The mass balance and dynamics of the ice shelf help in understanding the changes in global climate scenario.
About the study
- The Amery Ice Shelf extended by about 550 metres in 2017, 1470 metres in 2018 and 2200 metres in 2019.
- If the extension of the ice shelf continues, the positions will coincide with actual boundary conditions.
National Centre for Polar and Ocean Research
- The NCPOR is the Indian Institution that performs country’s research activities in Polar and southern oceans.
- The institute is located in Goa.
- It performs geoscientific surveys in the extended continental shelf, deep-sea drilling in Arabian Sea basin and also explore the ocean for resources such as multi-metal sulphides, gas hydrates, etc